Environmentally Acceptable Lubricants (EALs) Mandated By EPA
On March 28th, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) published the final version of its 2013 Vessel General Permit (VGP) which will apply to all vessels entering US waters from 19th December 2013. The VGP requires that “All vessels must use an Environmentally Acceptable Lubricant (EAL) in all oil-to-sea interfaces, unless technically infeasible”.
The applications covered by the VGP, which will be regulated by the US Coast Guard, include Controllable Pitch Propellers; Thruster Hydraulic Fluids and other Oil-to-Sea Interfaces including:
- Lubrication Discharges from Paddle Wheel Propulsion;
- Stern Tubes;
- Thruster Bearings;
- Rudder Bearings;
- Azimuth Thrusters;
- Propulsion Pod Lubrication;
- Wire Rope and Mechanical Equipment Subject to Immersion.
There are certain situations where “technical infeasibility” can be shown, which have been defined in the legislation as:
- That no EAL products are approved for use in a given application that meet manufacturers specifications for that equipment.
- That products which come pre-lubricated (eg wire ropes) have no available alternatives manufactured with EALs.
- That products meeting a manufacturer’s specification are not available within any port in which the vessel calls.
- Or that change over and use of an EAL must wait until the vessel’s next dry-docking.
We are pleased to confirm that HYDROX BIO, BIOGEAR XP, ECOSURE HSE and the BIOGREASE EP2 ranges of Environmentally Acceptable Lubricants (EALs) meet the detailed ecological definitions and requirements laid down in the 2013 Vessel General Permit (VGP).
A brief summary of the changes to VGP can be found here
|EALs – AT A GLANCE|
|Product||Data Sheet||Compliance Statement|
|HYDROX BIO||Product Data Sheet PDF||VGP Compliance Statement|
|ECOSTERN SMX||Product Data Sheet PDF||VGP Compliance Statement|
|ECOSURE HSE||Product Data Sheet PDF||VGP Compliance Statement|
|ECOSURE EAF||Product Data Sheet PDF||VGP Compliance Statement|
|BIOGREASE EP2||Product Data Sheet PDF||VGP Compliance Statement|
|BIOGREASE EP0||Product Data Sheet PDF||VGP Compliance Statement|
|BIOGEAR XP||Product Data Sheet PDF||VGP Compliance Statement|